Back in the day I was a addicted to World of Warcraft. I played not for end-game, but for the members of my guild (was 100+ strong at one point) and the fun we had together. I was alliance (not my fault, my (now) wife was alliance, and drug me in kicking and screaming), and a mage. Those are two horrid strikes against any wow player, but I had fun.
I was a nogg-aholic and my interest in the game started to diminish shortly after wall-walking was patched. I still explored, but with clipped wings. I never used any glitches to gain an advantage over others, and avoided battle-grounds like the plague, as did most nogg-aholics.
All that interested me in World of Warcraft is now dead. Exploration is all but moot in the expansions, and the new content (much of B.C. was released with 1.0, but not implemented until the first expansion) of Northend further destroys the continuity of World of Warcraft.
When I started, there were memories made in the following order.
- The boy king of Stormwind
- The Defias
- Van Cleef
- The missing diplomat
- Lady Prestor
- Onyxia attunement
That sums up WoW 1.0's story in a nutshell... it all intertwined into a beautiful cliffhanger with an epic ending...
oh, by the way.. 1 4 5 and 6 were removed in the latest patch.
I use Skype for secure text communications while I work.
Granted there are alternatives, there are none as simple. Install, login, go. Anything more complicated and the cattle would become confused and scatter. Hell, some have issues with just the above steps.
Skype recently updated their software with an "improved" user interface. While this is nice for the "aol age", it is absolute ass for those that work.
- The screen real estate has been wasted with tons of white space.
- The nick-list is now a horizontal bar along the top.
- The left side of a chat box is reserved for nicks alone.
- The right side of the chat box is reserved for time stamps.
- Icons are huge.
- There is no real compact view.
- There is no color customization like there was in 3.x.
- You can no longer decide what "tabs" to display.
- Tabs are gone. Everything (except history) is in the main window.
- File transfers are now inline (does not have a separate window) , and have less information.
- There is a constant advertisement at the top of the main window (this has been the case, but not for the "business" version).
- Will not allow DX9 full screen applications to launch.
- "Not Available" mode is gone.
- "Send Contacts" is removed.
- Will not allow my laptop to wake from suspended mode.
- "SkypeMe" mode is gone.
- EA is now laying 1k+ people off. (source)
- Technology is one of the least hit by the current recession. (source)
- SPORE was the most pirated game in 2008. (source)
- Spore had the most controversial DRM in 2008.
- EA denies piracy is linked to their DRM. (source)